The E-commerce industry is evolving at an increasing rate and so is the competition. Survival in this industry is only possible if one can sustain the cut-throat competition by adapting to an ever-changing environment. Understanding the need of the hour, Shopify, an e-commerce platform is gaining attraction for all the right reasons!
Shopify has been working relentlessly to provide a seamless user experience by updating its developer tools and adding new theme for Shopify merchants. Opening new and better opportunities Shopify recently announced at Shopify Unite, the launch of its Online Shopify 2.0 which is here to provide more flexibility, better theme development tools, and the latest technologies to enhance the Shopify merchants’ experience.
We have curated this article to provide you valuable insights into Shopify 2.0, and how it has enhanced the experience of the customers and improved the usability for the store merchants, alongside a brief comparison between Shopify 2.0 vs Shopify 1.0.
Benefits of Shopify 2.0 to Store Merchants
Shopify 2.0 aims to revise Shopify’s infrastructure thereby providing greater flexibility and customization to the store merchants. We have compiled a list of benefits of Shopify 2.0 that has truly contributed to enhancing the experience of the store merchants :
- Upgraded theme architecture – Until Shopify 2.0 came into existence merchants felt limited in being able to design their stores with just the default Shopify themes and limited customization options available at their disposal. However, Shopify 2.0 has changed the storefront liquid template making them more customizable in every aspect.
- Store Content is made Flexible – Shopify 2.0 has enabled adding meta fields and properties without using any API or code. This new feature allows the Shopify merchants to add the content needed to be included on the product page, effortlessly.
- Shopify Theme Editor Enhancements – Shopify 2.0 enables a tree view of all the content on a page in the sidebar so that the merchants can easily hide the unnecessary theme extensions or app blocks and update the hierarchy of a page.
- New Developer Tools- Shopify Online Store 2.0 enables the merchants to streamline developing, testing, and deploying the theme code changes, with the introduction of Shopify GitHub integration, updated Shopify CLI tool, and Theme Check.
- New Reference Theme – Shopify has launched the Dawn Shopify theme in its Shopify theme store, which is its first source-available reference theme built with semantic markup with HTML and CSS. This new theme is likely to maximize flexibility while reducing complexity for every Shopify store owner along with theme and app developers, which means you can easily make changes that are deemed fit for your business without much hassle.
Shopify 2.0 vs Shopify 1.0 – A Brief Comparison
Here is a brief comparison of Shopify 2.0 vs Shopify 1.0
|Features||Shopify 2.0||Shopify 1.0|
|Default theme||Shopify Dawn Theme||Shopify Debut Theme|
|Preferred Language||Shopify JSON||Shopify Liquid|
|Default Sections||Shopify Sections- Available for every page||Shopify Homepage – Available for only Home page|
|Shopify App Assets||Shopify CDN shall host all assets submitted via theme app extensions||Shopify developers need to host the assets themselves|
|Coding||It uses dynamic sources to insert standard meta fields and known resource properties as setting defaults.||It uses hardcode meta fields into themes or relies on APIs to make changes to product pages.|
|Theme Editor||Merchants can easily update the hierarchy of a page||Merchants need to drill down into different sections to update the hierarchy of a page.|
The Final Thoughts
Shopify 2.0 is here to make a long lasting change and open doors to newer and better possibilities to build a sustainable e-commerce ecosystem.
So, if you wish to migrate your store to Shopify 2.0 online store with all your customizations, or if you are to do a fresh start with the Shopify Dawn Theme, then feel free to contact our team of experienced professionals at Kloc tech to guide you through the entire process.